Social Dilemma: Student Takeaways
After watching the Sundance file ‘The Social Dilemma’ our girls share the takeaways they gleaned from the experience.
Takeaways from the film:
- We need to do more research on the link between mental illness and social media.
- Be safe online and don’t check your phone 24/7- it’s not worth it.
- Companies track what you do online and only show you certain things because of it.
- I am fascinated with the rapid rate at which technology develops, and I find it terrifying because it is taking over our world.
- Depression, anxiety, and suicide are strongly influenced by social media.
- Everything stays online even if you delete it.
- Social media creators jobs are to keep you addicted and it leaves a negative effect on users.
- Be mindful of social media use. Don’t let what you see on social media manipulate your beliefs.
- Social media is destructive in a lot of ways, but there are also positives. Many people struggle to make real connections when they are on social media.
- The point of a lot of major tech companies is to manipulate you into spending more and more time on social media by clicking on their “suggestions”.
- I learned a lot about what happens behind the scenes with social media, and I learned a lot about what to avoid.
- It is crazy how your phone knows exactly where you are and how you feel. It makes me more aware of how I use my phone and if I even want one.
- Big companies have more influence over us than we think.
How is the film’s message relevant to their life:
- I have really struggled with comparing myself to others on social media.
- I was addicted to my phone before treatment and I was an isolated mess.
- My generation is the new future and it’s up to us to choose how we want society to function.
- Because I am in the generation that grew up with technology and social media, I overused it in my life.
- I use social media so it’s important to know the dangers.
- I’ve always struggled with being able to tell if something is true, so this movie helped explain a lot.
- I used to spend a lot of time posting photos, and people can track you if you are not careful, and that’s creepy.
- I use social media and I need to learn to be safe and monitor my use on my phone.
- It was kind of a slap in the face how dangerous social media can really be.
- I need to be more conscious on social media and avoid the negative sides of it the movie addressed.
For more student reviews on the ‘The Social Dilemma’ click here.
Address: 4943 S Wasatch Boulevard, Salt Lake City, Utah 84124